Age Appropriate Games
- K to Gr 7 (6-12 years) Mini-Volley
- Gr 1-3 (6-8 years) Circulation Volleyball
- Gr 4-5 (9-10 years) Atomic 1
- Gr 6-7 (11-12 years) Atomic 2
- Gr 8-9 (13-14 years) Tripleball
- Gr 10-12 (15-18 years) Standard Volleyball
- Games for Sitting Volleyball
K to Gr 7 (6-12 years) Mini-Volley
To start with, it is important to note that mini-volley is a resource, and not a game just like Circulation Volleyball and Atomic Volleyball.
Mini-Volley is a new initiative developed by Volleyball Canada to aid elementary school teachers in introducing volleyball to their students. Volleyball has traditionally been viewed as a difficult sport to introduce to young children, but it doesn't have to be. With the simple modifications that Mini-Volley offers, teachers can easily provide their children with a fun and rewarding volleyball experience. Best of all you don't need to be a volleyball expert to get started!
What is Mini-Volley? Mini-Volley is an approach for initiating people to the game of volleyball. The traditional game is adapted to the specific needs and abilities of the participants. These adaptations include varying the number of players, altering the court size, adjusting the height of the net, and using bigger and lighter balls. Different game formats such as 1 vs. 1, 2 vs. 2, 3 vs. 3 and 4 vs. 4 are used. Various rules are also adapted to encourage longer rallies and decrease the difficulty of skill execution. The objective of these adaptations is to encourage learning, promote success, and increase the enjoyment for the participants. When the game is properly adapted for the age and abilities of the participants, they experience more success, enjoy the activity, and want to play more often!
The Mini-Volley program is fully endorsed by Physical & Health Education Canada (PHE - formerly CHAPERD).
We acknowledge the financial support of the Government of Canada through the Sport Participation Development Program, a program of the Department of Canadian Heritage.
Volleyball Canada (VC) currently offers specialized equipment and resources for teaching Mini-Volley.
If you would like to order any of the following products, please visit this website.
Specialized equipment has been developed specifically for young children. The use of bigger and lighter balls is ideal for kids because it provides a larger hitting surface, reduces the heavy ball impact and increase the time of reaction needed to be successfull in playing the ball.
- Mini-Volley starter kit ($249.95) - Interested in starting a Mini-Volley Program in your area? The Mini-Volley starter kit is all you need. Volleyball Canada offers a Mini-Volley starter kit ideal for teachers and physical education specialists who are interested in adding volleyball activities (e.g. 6 years and up) to their physical education classes. The Mini-Volley Instructor's Guide/DVD provides easy to follow activities and the DVD shows how they are run. 2 Tachikara Mini Volleyballs+ 4 Tachikara OTB-10 Volleyballs + Mini-Volley Instructors's Guide/DVD + 1 ball bag. A GREAT STARTER KIT AT $50 OFF!
- Mini-Volley deluxe starter kit (349.95$) - The great deluxe starter kit gets even better with the addition of 10 Mini-Volleyball T-Shirts in Red or White and also 10 Free Mini-Volley stickers for Boys and Girls. All items from Mini-Volley Starter Kit are included in the Deluxe Package.
- Mini-Volley Tachikara OTB-10 ($31.95) - This oversize ball is very useful for learning new skills or game concept. This ball is ideal for children of various age and skill level in order to improve their skills at a much faster rate (even in conjunction with the Tachikara Mini volleyball)
- Mini Volley ($39.95) - This ball, regulation size and reduced weight, has been specifically designed for the Mini-Volley program. It is mostly used with older kids (10 to 12 years old) and mostly used during jamborees.
Mini-Volley Instructor's Guide ($69.95) - This exciting new package includes a 100-page binder with various activities and an amazing DVD! The colourful cartoon character diagrams that outline the activities are printed on durable, laminated paper that are easily removed for a practice and then replaced. Each activity has a title, an objective, how to play, progressions/variations, easier and harder, safety points, teaching points, success criteria, and equipment.
The binder is organized by the different stages of development.
Stage 1 is Initiation, which has activities that focus on movement and play. This stage provides the players the opportunity to learn the basic concepts of volleyball and movement that has to occur.
Stage 2 is Development, which is where the players learn and understand that tactics of the game. This is where the players start to make decisions about the skills that they must utilize in games situations. Through game-like situations the players are able to learn this and have many levels of success.
Stage 3 is Proficiency, which is when the players start to learn the different game formats and how they work. In this stage removing the rally breakers can have a direct effect on the outcome of the game. A rally breaker is a serve, forearm pass on serve reception or defense, overhand pass used for the set, or the attack used to send the ball over the net. In this stage the players will play many types of games leading up to playing 4 on 4. This is an excellent teaching tool and one that will be used over and over. With this Mini-Volley Guide teaching volleyball just became easier!
Mini-Volley Kids t-shirts and stickers are also available.
If you would like to order any of the following products, please visit this website.
Mini-Volley Program Testimonials
The Mini-Volley program's success can be demonstrated by those who have taken part it in. Here are quotes from participants:
- Participants: "I love the fun games! This is awesome",
- "I like to keep the ball going.! It is exciting" Students from Chiganois Elementary School, Masstown, Nova Scotia, teacher Margie MacIntyre
- Teachers: "I really think that the 'new rules' are excellent for the grades 3-6 in Volleyball, it gives everyone a chance to feel that they are needed." - Mickey, NS
- The Mini-Volleyball Program was extremely beneficial for our school. For us, the elementary students (grades 1-6) loved being able to control the ball and learn more about the sport of volleyball. I would highly recommend this program to any school that wants to explore volleyball with their students further." Kim, Alberta
- "The 12 & Under volleyball program I feel is excellent, allowing children to be highly active; experiencing success as they develop their skills." - Wayne, NS
- "Children who have the ability or desire to learn, but necessarily the financial support, are able to take part in such program. My students thoroughly enjoyed the Mini-volley workshop and were anxious to share what they had learned with their class mates the next day." - Bob, NS
- "My feedback on the clinic was that it was a great introduction to volleyball. The skills that they worked on int he short time frame were geared for their level of play. The students were very keen about learning the proper techniques and practicing the skils. I was very impressed how much was covered and I learned some new activities to use in my volleyball unit. I also learned some tips about teaching kids the correct technique. The activities kept the kids moving and made them interesting, involving all skills elvels, which is what kids need in elementary school. They need to be successful and they were! Thanks for the fun and learning. Joanne - Teacher in Alberta
- Parents: "I think the program has been a great athletic experience for the kids. I know my son has enjoyed the season immensely. He hopes for another session next year. Great season. Thanks." - Beth
- "I have seen so much improvement in these kids, that it's amazing. I can t wait to see them after another year." - Kevin
- "Mini-Volley has been an excellent experience for my daughter and I. We enjoy the active time together, and have made many new friends. We would recommend the program to anyone. It is easy to learn how to do and lots of fun. I am now interested in learning more and taking it to other schools. I also now would like to become a coach, so that I may be able to coach at a middle school level when my daughter gets there. I can't put into words, what this mini volleyball program has done for me. I really enjoyed it, and am ready for another season." - Roseanna
- Program Coordinator: "Helping build a 12 & Under Volleyball Program has been most rewarding. It has proven to be successful coopertative effort by everyone involved. Over 80 students from Grade 4 to 6 have been introduced to the game of volleyball. It has been fascinating to watch the partcipants' skills and confidence evolve over a 10 week session, including parent coaching. Having parent's volunteer and support our program has played a significant role in our sucess. What a better way to spend time with your kids but through volleyball." - Lisa
If you want more information about the Mini-Volley program, please contact Sophie Gadoury, youth development coordinator.
Tip of the WeekFollow @VCDMtips on Twitter for weekly tips
Available resources by discipline